How Do You Get Cystic Fibrosis?

Summary: Most people often think about the question, “How do you get cystic fibrosis?” Cystic fibrosis is a disease which is inherited from parents. To get the answer to the question, “How do you get cystic fibrosis,” it is important to first understand about the CFTR genes and how it is inherited. This is all explained in this article.

Content: Cystic fibrosis is a highly dangerous disease which affects many parts of the body such as lungs, pancreas and liver. Cystic fibrosis is a disease which is inherited from parents and its signs and symptoms can start to show since childhood.

You might be wondering now, how do you get cystic fibrosis. Well, it’s really simple. There’s a gene in your body called CFTR. This gene is responsible to make a protein, cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR), which maintains the level of salt and water in the body. It also controls the components of sweat, mucus, and digestive juices. In the people who have cystic fibrosis, this gene contains some defects. The gene will be unable to make defect-free CFTR protein. This will answer your question, how do you get cystic fibrosis.

How do you get cystic fibrosis might not be only question in your mind. Once you have got the answer to how do you get cystic fibrosis, you might be thinking what effects it may have on your body. Mucus is normally slippery and watery. When the gene contains some defect, the mucus becomes thick and sticky and sweat becomes more salty, due to the increased volume of salt in the body. Cystic fibrosis may affect your body in many other ways.

Other than how do you get cystic fibrosis, you might also be thinking about the defects which can affect the CFTR gene. The type of defect your CFTR gene has will determine the severity of the disease. The severity of cystic fibrosis may also be determined by other genes.

After your question, how do you get cystic fibrosis, is answered, you might be thinking how you may inherit this disease. You inherit two CFTR genes, one gene from each parent. It is not necessary that you will have cystic fibrosis if you have one defective CFTR gene. You need to have two defective CFTR genes, one from each parent, to get cystic fibrosis. I’m sure this will answer your question, how do you get cystic fibrosis.

After knowing the answer to how do you get cystic fibrosis and how you inherit this disease, you may be thinking what happens to those people who inherit only one defective CFTR gene. These kinds of people are called “CF carries”. The people who are CF carriers do not have the disease, cystic fibrosis, and they live a normal life, without any problems. However, CF carriers can pass the defective CFTR gene on to their children, who may either become a CF carrier or actually develop the disease, cystic fibrosis.

The question, how do you get cystic fibrosis, cannot be answered perfectly without knowing completely about how this disease is inherited. For instance, both parents are CF carriers, meaning that they both have one defective CFTR gene and one normal CFTR gene. Their children will inherit two CFTR genes from each parent. Now, there is a likelihood of 25 percent that the children may inherit both normal CFTR genes. Similarly, there is a likelihood of 25 percent that the children may inherit both defective CFTR genes. There is a likelihood of 50 percent that the children may also become CF carriers, meaning that they might inherit one defective CFTR gene and one normal CFTR gene. Now, you might have got the answer to your question, how do you get cystic fibrosis.

More Articles